Saturday 21 May 2011

My name is Sophie... and I am a compulsive editor.

Current Project: The Doldrums

Word Count: 126, 544

After a really, frustratingly long period of writer's block I'm finally getting somewhere with this book. I've gone from just over 100,000 words to my current word count in around 3 weeks, and I can finally, FINALLY see how it's going to end.

A big part of what I've been doing these past few weeks is editing. I've switched a lot of passages around in order to make the whole narrative flow a little better. It's a pain in the backside, because I usually then have to go through the entire scene, check and double-check every detail, and then edit out all the text that now doesn't fit because of the move. Frustrating... but I think it's important to be prepared to do that sort of thing if you genuinely want your story to move along properly. Plus, while I'm doing all that checking I can weed out errors (Word's Auto Correct is a curse as well as a blessing, methinks), change words that don't sound right or have been repeated too often, and sometimes add a little extra detail to flesh out the action or the characters.

I really shouldn't be worrying myself with the editing process just yet. I should be pushing towards the finish and only go back over everything once that's done. But I can't help it, especially when I'm going through the whole thing in my head and I keep thinking "oh, that'll be a good detail to add", or "that bit I wrote yesterday doesn't make sense, I should change it". I know if I don't do it ASAP I'll forget about it altogether, so I get stuck in the editing side of things and put off the actual writing.

I'm starting to worry that when it comes to publishing my main problem will be not knowing when to stop tweaking and just leave the damn thing alone!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Scribble, scribble, scribble... © 2010

Blogger Templates by Splashy Templates